Amba Corbin
April 11th, 2013
History 201.001
Professor Green
Plymouth Church - Underground Railroad Site
Established in 1847 by twenty-one New Englanders, Plymouth Church also
known as the "Grand Central Depot" of the Underground Railroad was home to
a lot of runaway slave activities. Located at 75 Hicks Street, in Brooklyn,
New York, the first pastor of Plymouth Church, Henry Ward Beecher, held
events that mainly focused on fighting against slavery. The slaves were
seeking passage up North, to places like Canada. Many of the members of the
congregation in Plymouth's Church were also active participants in the
railroad. Those who were active would assist and push the slaves towards
their freedom. However, some were successful of their escape, and some
failed to escape. In 1848, seventy-seven fugitive slaves were sold in
Washington when an escape through this same Underground Railroad was
unsuccessful. Several people became recognized behind this era. The
greatest activist in this Underground Railroad was Lewis Tappan, who joined
in 1856. Alongside helping runaway slaves, Tappan allowed a fifteen-year-
old girl who escaped by masking herself as a male conductor on a New York
bound ferry. By 1860 Plymouth Church became one of the most famous churches
in America primarily because of its traffic. However, the number of slaves
transported through this Underground Railroad remains unknown, the number
of those escapees also remains unknown, and the number of free citizens,
which aided them, are still unknown.