Construction Project
After several months of planning and design, excavation for the new ACES library
on the University of Illinois campus began in May 1999. The project is sponsored
and will be owned by the Board of Trustees for the University of Illinois. Six
separate contractors are working together under one general contractor. The
project, which began in May of 1999, is scheduled to be completed by February

2001. Through informal interviews with Charles O. Pickar we learned that the
project is 4-5 weeks behind schedule. Pending weather conditions 25 to 35
workers usually present on site. The typical workday can run between 6:30am and
depending on deadlines can last until 9-10pm. As of the third week in January

2000, the concrete foundation and the steel framework for the five-story
structure, with the exception of the roof, were intact. The appendix of this
report contains photographs of observed procedures and site materials. Observed

Operations January 27, 2000 On the morning of January 27, two massive 18-wheel
trucks carrying various shapes and sizes of steel beams were unloaded on site.

It took almost two hours to unload each truck. A crane approximately 200 ft.
high was used to move the steel from the truck onto wooden planks on the ground.

The steel was separated by shape, and by using the quite large reaching span of
the crane, the workers were able to deliver the beams directly from the truck to
their appropriate sides of the site. This operation involved a six-man crew. Two
men connected the hooks from the crane onto the steel. Two men guided the steel
onto the planks on the ground. Two men took turns operating the crane. This
process was very time consuming due to the amount of steel needed to be lifted
entirely over the five story structure to the other side of the site, and due to
what seemed to be a lack of experience of the rigging crew. It took them a very
long time to make the connections on each beam, and check for security. These
factors may have influenced the unloading time taken that morning. As these
trucks were being unloaded, another crew of men worked in the basement. No
equipment was being placed at that time, but people were hauling down tools and
what looked to be some sort of electrical cords. Perhaps they were working to
install some piece of equipment already lowered down there, or maybe they were
moving already dropped equipment away from the opening in the floor to make room
for more to be lowered. January 28, 2000 Installation of metal decking floor
supports began on Friday, January 28. By the early afternoon, the level between
the first and second stories was nearly complete. There were some openings left,
mostly on the south side of the building, which will serve as stairways and
elevator shafts. The center of the building also lacked decking, and judging by
the design drawings, this section was left opened for a skylight, which will
cover the apex of the roof upon completion. The decking between the second and
third stories was about half installed by 3:00pm. A two-man team of welders
worked to secure the union of the decking to the steel framework as each section
was placed. Special protective masks and eye shields were used to ensure no
damage was done to the eyesight of the welders during this process. Decking
sheets lay in bundles on the beams between the third and fourth floors, awaiting
installation. Upon completion, safety inspectors will come out to the site to
check the torque on the bolts and the security of the welds. The sheets were
placed connecting to studs sticking upward from the steel framework. The outside
beams were such that they remained higher vertically than the steel
reinforcement going in. This design allows for concrete to be poured over the
decking without it spilling over the sides of the building. This entire process,
including the welders, men placing the decking, and one man who was sweeping
debris from the recently installed supports, entailed a crew of seven men. Due
to the afternoon increase in snowfall, and the increase of wind, the crew began
covering their equipment with plastic tarps and prepared to quit for the day at
around 3:30pm. January 31, 2000 No work was done on this site during the
weekend, but activity began again early Monday morning, January 31. The 200 ft.
crane lifted three of six large steel beams onto the top mid section of the
building, which will eventually support a roof that slants upward from the fifth
story to